1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment - Regimental Flag
Anna Ramsey, wife of Governor Alexander Ramsey, on behalf of the St. Paul Ladies, presented this color to the regiment as they were assembled at the first state capitol building on May 25, 1861. On one side of the flag, encircled by 34-stars, was a painted state seal with the words, “First Regiment Minnesota Volunteers.” The reverse side had a painted Federal eagle with the words, “E Pluribus Unum.” The flag was made by Horstmann Brothers, a military goods supplier in Philadelphia.
In each engagement from Bull Run to the Peninsula Campaign (May-June 1862) to Antietam and Fredericksburg, the First Minnesota solidified its reputation as one of the finest regiments in the Army of the Potomac. Its charge at Gettysburg (July1863), one of most heralded of the Civil War, played a pivotal role in the Union victory, but came at a cost of more than 80 percent casualties.