2nd Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment - National Flag
This flag and a regimental color, the first set issued to the Second, were sent to the regiment while stationed in Louisville, Kentucky in November 1861.
The flag is believed to have been carried until March 1863, when it was retired from service and sent back to St. Paul and placed in the Capitol. This color was carried in the Battle of Mill Springs in January 1862, and used by the regiment during campaigns in Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama. The flag was made by Horstmann Brothers, a Philadelphia military goods supplier.
Organized in the summer of 1861, the Second Minnesota was the state’s largest regiment. More than 1,700 members enrolled in the Second Minnesota over its several years of service. The regiment’s baptism of fire occurred at Mill Springs, Kentucky. It also saw notable action at Chickamauga (September 1863), Missionary Ridge near Chattanooga (November 1863), and Sherman’s “March to the Sea” (November – December 1864).