7th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment - Regimental Flag
After a delay of several months, this and a national color were delivered by steamboat to the regiment in April 1863 while stationed in Mankato, Minnesota. Its distinctive red scroll, raised in the center with gold flourishes on the ends, identifies this as a flag manufactured for the New York Quartermaster Depot. The shield in front of the eagle has “MINNESOTA” painted on it – something uncommon in other state regimental flags.
The Seventh moved south after a year’s service in the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862. It saw action at Tupelo (July 1864), Nashville (December 1864), and in the Mobile Campaign (March – April 1865). Like many Civil War regiments, the Seventh suffered greatly from the climate, lack of equipment, and illness. William Marshall, the regiment’s colonel from 1863 to1865, was elected the fifth governor of Minnesota in 1866.
At the Battle of Nashville, the Seventh Regiment’s color guard received special mention in the official battle reports: “Cool and intrepid, they pushed steadily on through the terrific charges made upon the enemy, unmoved by the ‘leaden rain and iron hail’ which fell thickly around them, mindful only of the honorable duty of bearing the colors erect in the van of the fight.”