Eleventh Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
The Eleventh Minnesota Infantry was the last infantry regiment mustered in Minnesota as the Civil War drew to a close. It served on guard, picket, and patrol duty on the Louisville to Nashville rail line. Its mission was to protect the line from guerrilla bands so that troops and supplies for the Union army could pass unimpeded.
The following manuscript collections are organized by military unit and alphabetized by the last name of the soldier. Each collection title is followed by the soldier's name, company and regiment number in parentheses, if applicable. Descriptions are brief and may be incomplete. Follow the links below to the Minnesota Historical Society's online catalog and finding aids for full descriptions.
- George G. Cook and Family Papers, 1864 - 1872, 1955. (C, 11th)
Letter dated April 26, 1864 written from Chicago while the Regiment was in route south.
- Peter and Katherine (Delsing) Recktenwald, Minnesota Pioneers, 1950. (Frank Delsing, B, 11th)
Narrative record of the service of Private Delsings service with the Regiment.
- Civil War Letters of Chester E. Evans, 1864 - 1865, [1973 - 1974]. (F, 11th)
Letters to his wife and family dated September 1864 - April 1865 discussing camp life and festivities after Lees surrender.
- Jonas H. Howe and Family Papers, 1864 - 1865, 1935, 1939 - 1940. (F, 11th)
Includes typescripts of First Sergeant Howes letters from Tennessee in 1864 and 1865.
- John H. Mitchell and Family Papers, 1858 - 1865. (A, G, 11th)
Photocopies of letters from September 1864 - June 1865 to and from his family discussing farm life and hardships in Minnesota and camp life in Tennessee.
- Robert L. Morris and Jasper N. Searles Papers, 1861 - 1865.
Includes partial transcribed diary, prescriptions and notes of Assistant Surgeon Morris.
- John S. Moulton Diary and Transcript, 1865. (E, 11th)
Typed transcript of Lieutenant Moultons diary covers railroad guard duty and camp life in the South.
- Edward Z. Needham Papers, 1859 - 1865. (B, 11th)
Microfilm of diary documenting Needhams service in the 1st Minnesota and later the 11th.
- Mary E. Richards and Family Papers, 1851 - 1965. (Amasa K. Richards, F, 11th)
Includes letters from Mary and family members describing life in Minnesota during the 1860s and letters from her husband Amasa describing service in Tennessee.
- John P. Shumway Papers, 1853 - 1865. (F, 11th)
Collection includes letters to his wife describing army life and duties in and around Nashville.
- William H. Van Kleek Diaries, 1864 Aug. 14 - 1865 July 15.
Commissary Sergeant Van Kleeks diaries document experiences at Fort Snelling and at Nashville, Mitchellville and Gallatin, Tennessee.