National Archives materials at the Minnesota Historical Society
Cataloged with the more traditional manuscript collections are official U.S. Army and War Department records published on microfilm by the National Archives.
These are records of U.S. War Department activities primarily in Minnesota. Most deal with military posts in the state, most notably Fort Snelling, and much of the content is related to the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862 and raising troops for Federal service.
- Manuscripts Biographies Collections
- Dakota Conflict of 1862 manuscript collections
- United States War Dept. Adjutant General's Office. Compiled Records Showing the Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations: Minnesota
- United States War Dept. Adjutant General's Office. Historical Information Relating to Military Posts and Other Installations
- United States. Adjutant-General's Office. Letters received by the office of the Adjutant-General (Main Series), 1861-1870 
- United States War Dept. Adjutant General's Office. Post Returns, 1800-1916
- United States War Department, Subsistence Dept. Minnesota District. Records, 1859-1874