Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo



Add Comment
add comment
Dakota painted buffalo hide
Description Painted buffalo hide with hair on one side and a red and blue feather design painted on the opposite side. A circle of 26 feathers at the center of the hide is encircled by two additional rings of feathers. The hide is bordered with red and blue lines accented by feather designs at intervals. The hide is sewn with sinew down the center back and, at a later date, a tan felt like material has been sewn around the edge. A leather strap for hanging is mounted at the center back. The hide was collected by Colonel John G. Clark of the 50th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment while he was stationed at Fort Rice in Dakota Territory from 1865-1866.
Quantity 1 item
Format Content Category: artifacts
Measurements 90 inches length
68 inches width
Nomenclature Hide (collagenous material)
Creation Made by Dakota Indians
Subjects Collected by: Clark, Colonel John Garvin
Made by Dakota Indians
Used by Dakota Indians
Collected in Fort Rice, Morton County, North Dakota, United States
Fort Rice, Dakota Territory
U.S.-Dakota War of 1862
Indian. Clothing. Outerwear. Robes
Dates Creation: Approximately 1850
Discovery: Not earlier than 04/1865 - Not later than 06/1866
50th Wisconsin dates of service
Content: 1969 Date donated
Holding Type 3D Objects
ID Number 69.54.1