Half-dime trade silver earrings
|Description||A pair of earrings, circa the mid-19th to mid-20th century. Each earring is comprised of two long brass link chains, a United States half-dime (circa 1853-1855), a metal cone, ball beads and wire. The earings were reportedly worn by Dakota Indians. Donated to the Daughters of the American Revolution by Helen Carver, the daughter of Colonel Henry L. Carver, an early quarter-master at Fort Snelling, Minnesota. It is possibly these earings were acquired at Fort Snelling, but there is no documentation supporting this.
|Format||Content Category: artifacts
|Measurements||7 1/8 inches length (2458.A - May have lost its pendant cone and has an extra earbob (loop with ball & cone) attached at top)
7 7/8 inches length (2458.B - Does not have extra earbob attached at top and has pendant at end of each of the two chains, one being a coin the other being a silver cone)
Owned by: Carver, Miss Helen A.
Carver, Henry Ladd
Used by (possibly) Dakota Indians
Used in Minnesota, United States
Indian. Clothing. Accessories. Adornment
|Dates||Creation: Not earlier than 1853 - Not later than 10/1946
(Acquired by the Sibley House Association in October 1946.)
|Holding Type||3D Objects|