The Minnesota Governor's Residence, also known as the Governor's Mansion or the Executive Mansion, is located at 1006 Summit Avenue in St. Paul, part of a long stretch of stately historic homes. The home was built in 1910-1912 for lumberman and lawyer Horace H. Irvine and his family at a cost of $50,000. It was designed by Minneapolis architect William Channing Whitney with 20 rooms and a total of 14,706 square feet and was later expanded to 16,000 square feet.
Irvine's daughters gave the home to the State of Minnesota in 1965; the legislature designated the building as a governor's residence and public ceremony site. Karl Rolvaag was the first governor to live there, from 1966-1967. The house and the 1.5 acre property, now on the National Register of Historic Places, are currently managed by the Minnesota Department of Administration.