Clifford D. Simak
From Out of Their Minds (1970) by Clifford Simak
He had sat like a shrunken gnome in the great lounge chair which threatened to engulf him in its pattern of red and yellow tapestry, rolling the brandy glass between his palms and looking up at me.
"I think that we are haunted," he had said, "by all the fantasies, all the make-believe, all the ogres that we have ever dreamed, dating from that day when the caveman squatted in the dark beside his fire and stared out into the blackness of the night which lay beyond the cave. Imagining what might be out there."
Birth: August 3, 1904, Millville, Wisconsin
Death: April 25, 1988, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Author Clifford Donald Simak studied journalism at the University of Wisconsin. During the 1930s, he edited newspapers in Michigan, Iowa, North Dakota, and Missouri. Simak worked for the Minneapolis Star and the Minneapolis Tribune from 1939-76, and he became news editor of the Star in 1949. Beginning in 1961, he was the coordinator of the Minneapolis Tribune's Science Reading Series. Simak won many awards for his writing, including the1953 International Fantasy Award for his book, City (1952), the 1959 Hugo Best Novelette for The Big Front Yard (1958), the 1964 Hugo Best Novel for Way Station (1963), the Grand Master Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America in 1977, and his "Grotto of the Dancing Deer" (1980) won the Hugo Best Short Story and the Nebula Best Short Story in 1981. Simak was inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame in 1973.
The titles below link to the catalog record in MnPALS, the Minnesota Historical Society’s library catalog. Please click on your browser's back button to return.
• Best Science Fiction Stories of Clifford D. Simak
• The Goblin Reservation
• A Heritage of Stars
• Project Pope
• Skirmish: The Great Short Fiction of Clifford D. Simak
• Time and Again
• The Visitors
• Way Station
Minnesota Historical Society Links
• Search MNHS Library and Archives Catalog for author - Searches for works by this author in the Minnesota Historical Society’s library
• Clifford D. Simak, a Primary and Secondary Bibliography by Muriel R. Becker
• Author Index - Author index to science fiction book reviews
• Clifford Donald Simak Papers - University of Minnesota collection
• Clifford Simak Fan Page - Simak fan page; includes biography, bibliography, and excerpts from books
• Fantastic Fiction - Brief biography, bibliography, and book covers